20/11/2013

The Hearth of the Ram ~ A Righteous Revamp of a Ramsbottom culinary gem



Forgive me but this is very new territory for me; turning critic within the realms of food and restaurants. As is the case when I'm reviewing anything, be it a film, a theatre production, whatever; I am still letting loose my opinion upon the world with the slightly deluded notion that it is warranted. Also an issue is that I don't really feel I have the cut and thrust ruthless attitude that a lot of critics, professional or otherwise, are portrayed as having. No matter how good or bad something is, I still try to find at least some of the good points, I will do my utmost to salvage some saving grace, even if whatever I am discussing seems pretty woeful. This I feel is the antithesis to what many critics (and indeed people I know personally) do; sometimes using their opinion to completely shatter something. HOWEVER,  the Hearth of the Ram in Ramsbottom has thankfully made my first attempt a thoroughly easy and enjoyable one.

The whole restaurant experience was stunning. As I understand it, until seventeen months ago, the site was home to an aged, perhaps average pub, but in May 2012 The Hearth of the Ram opened its doors to the public, under the leadership of Scottish couple Euan and Dena Watkins. If this is the state they're at less than two years on, I commend them hugely. Chief for me I have to admit was the stunning food. It is widely held that the whole foundation of a restaurant is based upon their chefs, and what they can produce. Head Chef Naz Abdullah (who apparently joined the team having left potential Ramsbottom rival Ramsons) is clearly incredibly knowledgeable, inventive, passionate and the results are delicious to say the least!

 
 

I myself started with partridge, and followed with fillet steak, all of which was utterly divine, but I have no doubt that all the food that read so well upon the menu, would have looked and tasted great. They even finished our evening with a rather sweet gesture of homemade ice cream to celebrate my birthday - feast your eyes on those piping skills!

The fare they served at The Hearth then was faultless, but as I am sure we all know, even great food can be let down if it is surrounded by staff and atmosphere that are lackluster. Again I am happy to report this was not the case. In terms of the restaurant itself, the new development gives a a sense of effective simplicity and elegance, whilst still maintaining a definite air of coziness; with roaring fire aplenty. In terms of staff and service, I do feel that the Hearth was represented well, with smart and attentive staff, who were neither too lackadaisical nor too intrusive. They were led in the house by charming and chatty restaurant manager Elecia Heywood, who not only catered to our every need, but who also avidly and openly had a good chat at any opportunity, which I know some people may disapprove of when dining out, but I welcomed heartily. She even had a few funny tales to tell. A remarkable example of this being that apparently the logo and insignia chosen for The Hearth of the Ram, though definitely bringing together images of a warm hearth and the ram of "Ramsbottom", has also been referred to by some gynecologists as being reminiscent of a biological diagram of certain parts of the female anatomy.

I shall leave that for you to ponder, and on that note simply say that The Hearth of the Ram is deserving of every bit praise it receives. I am sure that a great many of their customers will, as I shall, be returning again and again.




No comments: