29/11/2013

MICHAEL MCINTYRE - Life & Laughing: Can this cracking comedian translate onto the page?





Reviewing a book. Another thing I have never done. I love reading all sorts of different publications but I have never attempted to coherently critique a book, so I know this could go awry. I also know that Michael McIntyre's autobiography was released in 2010, but I've only just got round to reading it so there we go.
Two things struck me as slight reservations when embarking upon this book. Firstly, as with anyone writing their story at this age, Michael McIntyre was a bit young to be writing his autobiography; by my reckoning he was 34 when it came out. I know it's not as bad as some pop star wannabe thinking billions of people are interested in their life at the age of 13, but nevertheless, I was initially worried he would struggle to fill a book with enough interesting points of his life. My second worry was that he might not be able to translate his incredible like-ability and comic genius onto the page. I have come across some comedian's books who can do it, such as Peter Kay and Jason Manford, but for me it is always a worry.


All in all however, I needn't have worried. Michael McIntyre has offered us a rare insight into what seems to me to be an extraordinary life. In hindsight, it was foolish of me to think he wouldn't. From his mixed and varied heritage, to his ever-evolving family life, to personal feelings, to his breakthrough into stand up (which believe me did not happen overnight it transpires!) he mostly tells it all in a succinctly engaging way. With regards to being funny in a book, again mostly my worries were unfounded. There were occasional moments were one could tell a certain sentence was written to try and be funny and just didn't work, or where it seemed as though a live comedy routine was being squashed and pressed-ganged onto the page with odd results, but these incidents were in the minority. Most of the time, Michael approaches all manner of happenings in his life with charm and endearing sincerity, and when the time is right, no small measure of comedy. Most of the time when he refers to a routine he's done or a show he's been on which his fans, and I count myself among them, recognize, it does work and brings a smile to your face and does make you laugh too. The combination of McIntyre's highly colourful and at times extraordinary life, along with his frank and charming writing style (though it must be said at this point - it might be him or a ghost writer, currently I'm choosing to believe it's him) and his still present comic flare, make this book an enjoyable read. I am in no doubt whatsoever, that Michael is fully deserving of his current success, and long may it continue, which I am sure it will. I am also convinced that his autobiography is, by and large, a pleasant and intriguing accompaniment, to the life and work of one of the best comedians working today, and probably of all time.


  








No comments: