30/11/2013

JAMES CORDEN - May I Have Your Attention Please? Indeed Sir You May!







Again, I know that this book was released a couple of years ago but I suppose I'm behind with my autobiographies. Anywho, James Corden is a figure of note to say the least. To be perfectly frank, until a year or so ago, I wasn't really aware of him and his work. I did not watch Gavin & Stacey at all when it was broadcast (I know shock horror!) but it was thanks to a GOLD repeat, and then a prompt box set buy that I have now subsequently watched them all and agree with most that it is a charmingly executed sitcom. I first came into contact with him when he appeared on Doctor Who opposite Matt Smith (as some of you may know I am a bit of a Whovian) in not one but two belting episodes that cemented James Corden in Who lore. Since then I have monitored Corden's career a bit more closely, past and present. From the History Boys smash hit to Gavin and Stacey, to BAFTA nightmare to Comic Relief joy to Doctor Who to the BRITS to One Man Two Guv'nors, which earned him a TONY. Yet I feel that is really a story that needed telling, despite again the author's relatively young age. You really get the feeling James Corden is not only telling us what makes him tick, but also explaining himself from birth to now, and just how he has got to where he is today. By and large, it makes for a very good read.






James Corden puts his story across in a most accessible way. He does not at any point try to patronize his readers, and he knows what is expected of him and tries his best to deliver. With Michael McIntyre's book, I voiced concerns about this huge comic TV presence being able to translate into a book; no problems here. Whether that's to do with Corden's proven writing ability, or a sheer knack for this, or the great way he puts his story across, who knows. I think at times, we stray slightly into the one-dimensional, and perhaps also some things come across with a touch of arrogance. I did see flashes of the old arrogant, loutish and flippant man that Corden in retrospect talks so openly and emotively about most of the time. He's not lost that sense of the attention seeking, and it seems to be happening more so when he tells of how it happened the most for him, and when it ended so badly. Yet even when we get hints of the cheeky young boy referring to things in his life, it is a lot more measured and mature, throughout all of the book. Though this could be seen as annoying, I find it makes for a more interesting read. If we were getting this book from a reformed, monk-like character who was now totally without sin and embarrassingly showing us the evil of his ways, it would be quite boring. Instead we get James Corden today doing his level best to tell us of his incredible and varied life. What's more, as previously said, he brings an incredible sense of approach-ability and emotion to it all, be it happy, sad, funny, tragic, or loving.



Today James Corden is an extremely recognizable figure, both in Britain and globally. He is still largely connected lovingly to Gavin & Stacey, which I feel he has no problem with, but I also think he is now very respected as an actor, writer, host, and general personality which I feel only reflects positively on his journey thus far. Whether you know of some of his highs and lows or not, I think if you read his memoir you will agree that to get to where he is now following everything that he has been through, good and bad, is quite an achievement. I believe his book to be quite a lovely, well written retrospective upon a remarkable life. I would say well done James Corden, and good luck in your future endeavors.  




No comments: