05/04/2014

Trance








Another film offering from Sky Movies Premiere to look at. Not only that, but this time a film helmed by the great, the iconic (the Lancashire lad!) Danny Boyle; the highly fast-paced, intricate, stunning, gripping psychological thriller that is Trance. Generally, I enjoy thrillers, but that is not to say I automatically enjoy thrillers. I know of quite a few people that will happily sit down, watch and then praise a film broadly based on the fact that it was penned as "a good thriller". I am sure that there are fans of every genre of film who may well act like this when it comes to viewing also (I'm not sure if I have one; perhaps mine is yet to develop). I did not know initially upon watching this film that it was helmed by Boyle, but I did know it was a thriller, and the trailer, story and premise looked intriguing enough to initially engage, but even so I had a slight streak of skepticism running through me upon approaching this one. I happily admit that I could not be more wrong. Trance is a fantastic whirlwind of action, drama, hints of comedy, mind-bending yet genius concepts and twists, great music, beautiful cinematography, and an end result that left me in awe and appreciation of this great film. Danny Boyle has often traced his love of film to the classic Apocalypse Now (which is one I haven't seen incidentally) saying that it "eviscerated" his brain. If there was a film I had to choose thus far from the great man's repertoire that had a similar effect on me, then Trance would be it.


In terms of plot, I really do feel that to elaborate upon and get into that of Trance upon this humble blog would be wrong. For one thing, it is so monumentally complicated, twisting and turning (though certainly not in a negative way, quite the contrary) that I would struggle in various places, and for another as I say, it is so wonderful to behold - I simply urge you to watch it. I shall just give you a very brief rundown. In essence, the film focuses on James McAvoy as Simon Newton, an art lover and auctioneer who is very much forced, so it seems, into the hands of professional art thief Franck, played by Vincent Cassel, and hypnotist Elizabeth, played by Rosario Dawson. They are all connected to a highly valuable stolen painting, yet only the former knows its location, yet is unable to remember, thus the latter two must do everything they can to extract the lost information from him, in time to claim their respective prizes...and thus the beautiful madness ensues from there. But really, that is a very very small glimpse of a synopsis of a film that really does speak for itself. There is so much more than that, and trust me it is worth being experienced first hand.





I will however also, just mention the three central characters and the three greatly talented people behind them, as this really is a case where we have three integral components to a great film. I have long been a fan of James McAvoy, with every addition to his ever growing body of great work. From The Last King of Scotland, to Starter For Ten, to his iconic portrayal of a young Charles Xavier in X-MEN: First Class (and in the hotly anticipated Marvel mega-movie release coming soon that is X-MEN: Days of Future Past!) I really do feel that at a minimum, 9 times out of 10 McAvoy's unique magnetism and watch-ability results in endearingly wonderful performances. And Trance is no exception. Brilliantly played, timed and delivered, James McAvoy is well and truly the leading man here, and deservedly so. 
Like McAvoy, I have been aware of Vincent Cassel's presence for some years also, in greatly popular films like the Ocean's series and Black Swan. But to me, this is the first film I have seen where he really does come into his own, and in a great way that fits in with the whole feel of Trance so well.
Last but not least, we have the beautiful, beguiling and brilliant Rosario Dawson. Again, consistently great in various films over the years, and wonderfully superb in Trance. It is supremely difficult, but if I absolutely had to pick a star break-out performance from the film, it would have to be her. She is layered, ethereal, gritty, light, powerful and supremely cast and, like her fellow co-stars, is suited to this film in almost every way conceivable. Again, apologies for not going into more detail with regards to these characters and the great actors behind them, but this is really very much a case of me not wanting to drop any potential spoilers for you.

I think you can safely garner - I rather liked this one. But please, as always, do not take my word for it by any means. I urge you to go forth and watch; I'm pretty damn sure Trance is not one you'll want to miss.









No comments: