15/02/2014

Punt & Dennis: Ploughing on Regardless ~ The Lowry Theatre, Salford




You may remember, a month or so ago I told you about my experience watching Miles Jupp at the Lowry in Salford. Now, I have joyfully returned to that hallowed venue once again, to again see a comedy act I first encountered live during my time at university, namely Punt and Dennis.
Steve Punt and Hugh Dennis, to give them their full and deserved titles, have had a cemented comedy partnership, on-and-off, for the past quarter of a century. Throughout all that time, they have been national radio staples, keen comedic writers and performers, and of course Hugh Dennis has stepped out on his own slightly in successful sitcom Outnumbered, and being a staple panelist on BBC2's staple show Mock the Week (which apparently Steve Punt writes for regularly also). They had me in stitches three years ago, I have loved their TV and radio work, so of course I jumped at the chance to go along to see the sold out Salford edition of their brand new comedy tour: Ploughing on Regardless.

The tour name obviously has meteorological inferences, but it can also relate to the way they delivered their own unique brand of comedy. Flowing, unstoppable yet adaptable, and wonderfully hilarious. Among the list of iconic comedy double acts (such as Morecambe and Wise, the Two Ronnies, Lucas and Walliams, Armstrong and Miller) Punt and Dennis don't often feature, yet I think they surely should. At the Lowry, they presented a formula that was clearly practiced, honed and crafted over years and years; displaying the benefits of a partnership that has been shaped by time and masses of laughs. 
Some have criticized, indeed some did on the night in question, the need for Steve Punt who, often as the definite straight man, seems to be dithering along trying to make witty set-ups for Hugh Dennis' perfectly timed and performed punch-lines, sketches, and impersonations. So much so that, on the odd occasion Punt does try to go off on his own and make us laugh (which he often does, make know mistake) it seems sort of strained and unnecessary, compared to Hugh Dennis' seemingly never-ending tirade of hilarity. I would not blame anyone for taking this view, in some ways it is sort of correct I feel, but I also feel that these two are integral to each other and their material. If it was just Hugh Dennis stood alone, yes it would be funny (you only have to watch things like Mock the Week to know he is a great solo comedian too) but the build ups, scenarios, and eventual climaxes would not be as effective I think. Steve Punt adds many new complexions and possibilities to what Hugh Dennis does. And, in turn Hugh Dennis supports and bounces of Steve Punt with such ease and fluidity (despite occasionally yet hilariously going off on his own tangent) that the result is truly, and breath-takingly (literally) and wonderfully funny.

As stand up comedy goes, I don't think Hugh Dennis and Steve Punt are as recognised as they should be, for their wonderful on-stage relationship, their clear talent, and the brilliant results that are produced. However I do feel they are always relied upon as comic staples of the circuit. They are always busy with other things too so tours do not occur as often as other comedians', yet when they do come they are always worth a watch. They are fully deserving of their popularity, as comedians on stage or otherwise, and in my opinion are deserving of so much more than they get. I know this may be taken lightly and is probably venturing into the cliche, but I truly do feel that Hugh Dennis and Steve Punt together, are two of the best comic minds and comedians I know of and have ever seen.



No comments: