15/12/2013

Embers of Haworth ~ Great setting, and quite nice food, but not much else





OK, as some of you may know (particularly if you have been keeping up with my other blog posts!) I am rather fond of the Yorkshire village of Haworth, and have been for many years. So to have I often enjoyed some of the eating establishments there, such as the traditional/modern Wharenui restaurant. However when my family recently gave more recently established Embers (which is just up the street from and shares the same owners/chefs as Wharenui) it was definitely a mixed bag which, for various reasons, tilted towards the negative.

Right, plus points first. For a setting, it is hard to get better (I'm not going to have another rant about the amazing wonder that is Haworth - for that see my previous post). It is highly attractive outside as well as it is attractive and stylish inside. It is cozy without being to stuffy, and spaciously modern enough to not feel too claustrophobic. My share of the food was quite good too. My Christmas menu starter of stuffed figs wrapped in Black Forest ham was unusual and  interesting, despite a rather funny taste of mixed flavors. Their take on a Christmas turkey dinner for main course was broadly very good; the turkey was moist, the sauce was a treat, my only complaints were it was far too heavy and they gave me sprouts - bah!

Now come the negatives - inattentiveness is a harsh word to describe the staff. I'm sure we all know inattentive staff and I don't think the Ember crew were there. I will say, however that they were definitely too nonchalant a lot of the time and quite up in the air. In a nutshell I say in terms of service: average.
Not bad right? More pluses then negatives so far? The staff of Embers dug themselves deeper, when they responded, or didn't as it turned out, to the tirade of comments laid out by customers. However I will say that we went on to find out that Embers waiting staff were also poor at responding to individual needs of customers, as well as having little finesse or charm with their service. As well as this, we got to meet the chef who, though being slightly apologetic when the time came, definitely struck me as the kind of chef who would not be told when he was wrong and didn't much like dealing with the people he apparently serves.

Hmmm...odd one this. On balance, I don't denounce Embers;  all in all it was a good, satisfactory restaurant experience, and as I say in a brilliant location. If that is what you are after, then have at it!

No comments: